The Office of Northern Australia (ONA) was established in 2009 and assists the Minister for Northern Australia to coordinate implementation of the White Paper on Developing Northern Australia. The office provides the Australian Government with policy advice and analysis on initiatives to support the development of northern Australia.
Our North, Our Future – the first ever White Paper on Developing Northern Australia – was released in June 2015. It is a vision, and a plan, to unlock the full potential of the north. A strong north means a strong nation.
The White Paper investments of over $6 billion are across a range of activities to support the growth of: the north as a trade and investment gateway; a more diversified northern economy; Indigenous entrepreneurs and businesses; world-class infrastructure; investment in water infrastructure; and world leading research and innovation. In addition, the $5 billion for the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility, is providing concessional loans for infrastructure projects across the north.
Who we report to
Ministerial responsibility for the Office of Northern Australia lies with Senator Matthew Canavan, Minister for Resources and Northern Australia.
Who we partner with
The Office of Northern Australia is working in partnership to deliver the Australian Government’s northern agenda with agencies and organisations including:
- Attorney-General’s Department
- Australian Trade and Investment Commission
- Cooperative Research Centre for Developing Northern Australia
- Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
- Department of Defence
- Department of Education and Training
- Department of Employment
- Department of the Environment and Energy
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Department of Immigration and Border Protection
- Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Government of Western Australia
- Interdepartmental Committee on Northern Australia
- Joint Standing Committee on Northern Australia
- Major Projects Facilitation Agency
- Ministerial Forum on Northern Development
- Northern Australia Advisory Council
- Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility
- Northern Australia Senior Officials Networking Group
- Northern Australia Strategic Partnership
- National Health and Medical Research Council
- Northern Territory Government
- Queensland Government
- The Treasury